James M. Penning joined Temmerman, Cilley & Kohlmann, LLP, in 2016. Mr. Penning provides representation in estate planning, incapacity planning, and decedent estate administration, focusing on estate planning for large and moderate estates with specific emphasis on family wealth preservation. Mr. Penning also provides representation in estate and trust litigation matters including will and trust contest actions, elder abuse actions, fiduciary removal and surcharge actions and breach of fiduciary duty claims, as well as mediation and alternative dispute resolution in all types of trust and estate matters.
Mr. Penning represents trustees, personal representatives, and beneficiaries in all aspects of trust and probate administration. His estate administration practice includes postmortem trust administration, trust reformations, tax planning, federal estate and gift tax return preparation, complex trust and estate accountings, and incapacity planning and conservatorships.
Prior to joining Termmerman, Cilley, & Kohlmann, LLP, Mr. Penning founded Penning Law Group where he provided representation in estate planning and administration, trust and estate litigation, family law, corporations and complex litigation matters. Mr. Penning also spent several years with Cooley LLP where he represented large public companies, startups, partnerships, and individuals in a variety of complex and technology related litigation matters.
Contact James M. Penning, an experienced and knowledgeable attorney, for all your San Jose estate planning and litigation needs.
James M. Penning provides high-quality estate planning, incapacity planning, estate administration and estate litigation services to clients throughout the Silicon Valley. To learn more about Mr. Penning’s skill, experience, or services, contact our San Jose office by calling 408-290-7210, or our Danville office by calling 925-233-4399 or contact us online.
- J.D., cum laude, Santa Clara University School of Law, 2003
- Academic Honors:
- Order of the Coif
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, Federal Estate and Gift Taxes
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, Legal Analysis, Research and Writing
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, Contracts
- Certificate of Excellence, Research and Writing
- Academic Honors:
- B.A., Accounting, magna cum laude, Wartburg College, 1997
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Member, California Lawyers Association, Trusts and Estates Section
- Member, California Lawyers Association, Family Law Section
- Member, Santa Clara County Bar Association